Tips For Safely Moving Your Wine Collection
When it comes to planning your move, whether it's local, out-of-state or an office move, one of the most challenging aspects of any relocation is the safe transport of any fragile or unique items. Things like family heirlooms, antiques, hot tubs and specialty collections require extra attention to ensure they arrive at your new destination undamaged. A.A. American Moving & Storage has been helping customers move their specialty items for more than 60 years, and to help you with your next specialty move, today we want to discuss one item in particular: Wine.
A wine collection is a valuable asset, so if you are moving wine, doing your research about the proper transporting procedures for your collection is paramount. Below we have detailed a step-by-step guide for wine moving, to ensure you don't lose any precious bottles during the course of your move:
- Have your wine collection appraised through a local wine vendor or merchant.
- Be sure to take photos of your collection and detail everything in the collection.
- Check with the appropriate authorities at your new destination about any restrictions that may be in place regarding the amount of alcohol that you can bring with you.
- If at all possible, store and move your wine at 55 degrees Fahrenheit. This is the optimal temperature for all wines. Temperature is important because it is one of a number of factors that have an impact on flavor profile. The older a wine is, the more fragile a wine's flavor balance is.
- If at all possible, avoid moving your wine during summer or winter, as the temperature extremes during these seasons can have adverse effects on your wine's flavor.
- When transporting corked wines, the bottles should always be stored on their side or upside down to keep the cork wet.
- It is important to let your wine settle once you have arrived at your new home. Even once everything is unpacked, you should let your wine rest one week for every day your belongings were in transit. Just to be safe.
As a leading specialty services mover in New Jersey, we hope this information has been helpful. If you need assistance with moving a wine collection or any other antique or specialty items, A.A. American has representatives standing by to take your call.
Give us a call today at (201) 891-2600.
Contact UsA.A. American Moving & Storage
414 West Main Street
Wyckoff, NJ 07481